Nyx Publishing is currently open for submissions.
Our current calls are:
- Holiday stories (ongoing)
Nyx Publishing is closed to all other submissions at the moment, unless requested by us. We are still happy to be contacted for agented inquiries.
Current call for submissions: holiday stories
What we’re looking for
Nyx Publishing is looking to acquire adult fiction novellas and novels in which a holiday plays a significant role. This includes religious holidays (for example Passover, Diwali, Eid, Vesak, or Christmas) or secular holidays (New Year’s, national holidays).
For this call we are looking for stories between 20,000 and 120,000 words, contemporary or speculative, that end on a positive note. While the story can include grief, loss, or other difficult topics, we seek stories that are ultimately uplifting.
We are particularly keen to publish stories surrounding non-Christian holidays, and/or featuring protagonists that are traditionally excluded from ‘holiday’ reads. Stories can be romantic, family-focussed, or include found-family or close friendships. We are also very keen to read stories featuring wonderful pets.
Submissions will be open until we reach capacity, and will be considered on a rolling basis. If you haven’t received a decision within two months, do give us a prod. Full disclosure: our general editor is currently finishing her PhD, and might be somewhat slow to respond. Please bear with us 🙂
The fine print
- Nyx Publishing is pursuing world-wide publishing rights in English for a limited time, for print, digital, and audiobook.
- The contract is negotiable. We offer a 50% net sale royalty rate for ebooks and audiobooks and a competitive rate for print rights.
- Multiple submissions are acceptable.
- Your country of residence does not matter to us – as long as we can find a way to pay you.
- Let us know if you are submitting elsewhere, and if you have been offered a contract.
- We also welcome reprints and translations for this call.
- We reserve the right to close this call for submissions at any point in time.
How to submit
To submit your story for consideration, please send your manuscript in .doc or .docx format to submissions[at]nyxpublishing.com, with the subject line HOLIDAY SUBMISSION and the title of your manuscript. You can address the email to Celine (no need to be formal). Add your manuscript in .doc or .docx format as an attachment. We prefer a clean 12pt font like Times New Roman. If you want to save us some time, please only include the title of your story in the document (and no other personal information like your name and address), and use proper indenting (no tabs).
Please include a short summary of your story in the body of your email. You don’t have to overthink it, as we assess stories by themselves. A cover letter is unnecessary. You should receive a confirmation that we have received your manuscript within a week – if not, please do send it again or give us a nudge.
If you have any questions about submitting a story, please direct those questions to submissions[at]nyxpublishing.com as well.