We are looking for a sensitivity reader for our upcoming release of Unthinkable: A Queer Gothic Anthology. The story in question is roughly 5500 words long, and features an enslaved Black protagonist in the American south. Considering the emphasis on the experience of slavery is central to the plot, Nyx Publishing aims to hire a sensitivity reader to make sure no harmful stereotypes are perpetuated.
If you are a sensitivity reader with relevant expertise, please contact us at contact[at]nyxpublishing[dot]com and include the following:
- A paragraph introducing yourself and relevant experience. If you have done sensitivity reading before, we would love to hear about it
- Your standard rate to critique a story of 5500 words
- Your availability over the next couple of weeks
- While the anthology (and this particular short story) centers queerness, we do not require sensitivity readers to be queer or to out themselves to us
- Email us before the 23th of May. (Effectively, the deadline is the end of the 22nd at midnight UK time.)
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask by sending us an email.